Choosing a financial advisor to work with is a major decision. Possessing the right technical skills and experience to properly handle your wealth management needs is, of course, the basic hurdle any potential firm you are considering must meet, but it is only the beginning. Here are some questions anyone should ask a financial advisor they are considering working with.
Download this page as a print-friendly PDF
Your advisor will be your partner for many years in helping you achieve your objectives so it is critical to work with someone who not only possesses the necessary skills but also is able to have a deep professional relationship with you so you can understand the choices you are facing and the basis of the recommendations being given. With that in mind, if you are thinking of starting to work with a financial advisor, here are some questions you can ask to start you down the right path of choosing an advisor.
1) How long have you been in the financial services industry ?
2) What is your philosophy for Wealth Management ?
3) How are you compensated for the services you provide ?
4) Do you manage investments directly or use third party managers?
5) Does your company offer their own investment products and do you receive any additional compensation for selling those over other similar products offered by third parties?
6) What licenses have you obtained ?
7) Do you hold any advanced degrees or certifications pertaining to Wealth Management ?
8) How often do you meet with most of your clients ?
9) Do you have an established client process, and if so, please describe it ?
10) If something happens to you, is there a plan for someone to continue watching over and managing my assets?
With answers to these questions, you'll be on your way to making a more informed decision. If you have more questions about selecting a financial advisor, please call to speak with one of our experts at 540-639-2139 for a free consultation.